Monday, February 20, 2012

Quilted Heart Nail Art Tutorial

Color used, L to R:  Icing Written in the Stars, SinfulColors Tutu, Sinful Colors nail art polish in black, Milani HD
Sorry about the long wait!  Here's the tutorial for my vday mani. :)







Step 1:  Apply your base color.  I recommend light cremes or creme-jellies.  I suggest you avoid shimmers unless it's subtle like in the color I used.










Step 2:  Make three parallel dotted diagonal lines.  You can do maybe 4, if you have bigger nails.  I personally don't like too many lines since the black will start to over power the base.









Step 3:  Repeat step 2, but in the opposite direction.  Try to make big squares.  Skip to step 7 to make simple quilted nails.  Continue to step 4 for accent nails.








Step 4:  Draw a heart.  Haha, I guess that was a little simple.  I used the black striping polish to draw the heart.  There's room for error since we'll be coloring the heart in.  So take your time shaping the heart.  Just make sure the outer edge of the heart is crisp.  I would draw the heart a little smaller than I did here so more of the quilt design shows through.  I made it big for the tutorial.  I also used the edge of my nails to make one of the curves of the heart.







Step 5:  Color the heart in with the color of your choice.  I used 2 coats of Milani HD to make it sparkly and diamond-like.










Step 6:  Now go back in with the black striping polish and draw a border around the colored heart.  Stay within the black outline you already drew, this way you can just worry about shaping the inside edge of the border.  I hope this makes sense...  Basically you are retracing the heart outline you drew in step 4.







Step 7:  Pick out medium sized holographic glitter from a glitter polish and place them where the dotted lines intersect.  (See tip below).










TIP:  Here's how I pick out the glitter, since this can be a bit time consuming.  I found this method the easiest.

Lay the brush on it's side after picking up some glitter with it.  I stopped the cap from rolling with a pen.  Then I took a needle and used the pointed tip to pick up a single glitter.  Now you can see where the glitter is going when you place it, and it'll detach easily from the needle when you place it.








That's it!  Pretty simple, right?  It actually does not take long to do this mani at all.  It's pretty easy and yields very cute results.  Of course you can also use heart/bow stickers to embellish your quilted nails as well.  I've done white bows before, and those were nice too. :)

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!  If you have any questions, please ask them in the comments below.  I'm a little behind on replying to comments, but I try to answer questions right away. ^__^


Thanks for reading!


Liz

26 comments:

  1. jewels and nails jewels and naFebruary 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM

    so cute, thank you for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute! i gotta try this soon thank for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THESE! I'm so trying it out. Thanks for the tutorial =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial, I really wanna try this it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm definitely trying this out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute, thanks! I love your tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Great tutorial, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. maria adriana britez ramirezFebruary 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM

    I Love it!! very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so adorable hun, love the pattern you made xx

    My Blog: Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for doing this! I'm going out this weekend to find all the colors listed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Tutu, and this tutorial is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. o def have to try this...so cute

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is adorable, thank you so much for showing me how to attempt this

    ReplyDelete
  14. No problem! I'd love to see it if you do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, I'm glad you like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. No problem! I'm glad you found it helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! Definitely give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. No problem! I'm sure yours will turn out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm trying this today! I'm so excited

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did this mani yesterday, thank you for making this great and simple tutorial! :) Here is link for my attempt on this manicure, if you're interested ;) http://rakkauskynsiin.blogspot.fi/2012/11/sydanpaikkoja-tikkitakissa.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing! I love how yours turned out! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)